Red Pepper Directors sent back to Luzira

Red Pepper Directors sent back to Luzira

Spread the love

Red Pepper Directors and Senior Editors have been sent back on remand at Luzira for another 2 weeks until the 19th/ December 2017.

This was after presiding Buganda Road court chief magistrate James Ereemye Mawanda adjourned his bail ruling to the 19th/December 2017 on grounds that he needs time to read the lengthy submissions made by both state and defense counsel.

The jailed 8 include 5 directors include; Richard Tusiime; the Managing Director, Johnson Musinguzi the Finance Director, Patrick Mugumya; The Director Operations and Arinatiwe Rugyendo; a director who also doubles as a secretary and chief marketing officer.

Others are; Richard Kintu; the Deputy News Editor, Ben Byarabaha a senior Editor Francis Tumusiime; the special project Editor and James Mujuni a journalist.

The eight were first sent on remand at Luzira prison on Monday last week over charges of allegedly publishing information prejudicial to security, libel and offensive communication to the person of president Museveni and his brother Gen. Salim Saleh.

However, before today’s adjournment, a prosecutor from the Uganda Communications commission (UCC) Abdul-Salam Waiswa  asked Buganda Road Court chief magistrate James Ereemye Mawanda not to release them on bail for fear that the Editors might  repetitive offend and endanger national security.

Waiswa who quoted the affidavit of the investigating officer Detective. Assistant commissioner of Police Isaac Oketcho, informed court that if the suspects are let free to gain access to their computers, e-mails and mobile phones, there is a likelihood of re-connecting with their networks to frustrate the on-going investigations.

Waiswa added that court should also take into account the gravity and seriousness of the offense of publishing information prejudicial to national security allegedly committed by the suspects which shows that they are a danger to Uganda, Rwanda and the entire Great lakes region security once released on bail.

Prosecution states that the accused on the 20th /November 2017 at the Red pepper offices in Namanve Mukono district, unlawfully caused publication and distribution of a newspaper head line regarding the military operations, strategies and troop location well knowing that such publication can disrupt public Order and security.

In the libel charge, the accused are said to have caused publication and distribution of newspaper story lines that injured the reputations of President Yoweri Museveni, his brother Gen. Salim Saleh, security minister Lt.Gen Henry Tumukunde which  publication  allegedly  subjected the trio to hatred, contempt and Ridicule .

They are further said to have willfully and repeatedly used their computers for no legitimate purposes to disturb the peace and privacy of his excellency Yoweri Museveni, Gen Saleh and Lt Gen Tumukunde by portraying them as people who contrived a plot to over throw the president of the Republic of Rwanda.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *